Your smile depends strongly on your oral hygiene habits as excellent oral hygiene will help prevent complicated oral health issues such as cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease. Here are something helpful tips to help ensure that your teeth look healthy and function properly for a lifetime.
Tips For Excellent Oral Health
- It all starts with brushing, it is imperative that you brush your teeth at least twice per day especially after meals. It is even more important to make sure that you brush your teeth for the correct amount of time which is at least two minutes. Many patients find it useful to get an electric toothbrush which comes with built-in timers to ensure that you brush your teeth for the correct amount of time.
- Flossing is the perfect partner to brushing as it helps remove hard to reach places that you may have missed during brushing. Flossing will get in between your teeth to break up tartar and plaque that is settling between your teeth.
- Mouthwash is another great addition to your daily oral hygiene routine. If you use mouthwash after flossing, the mouthwash will remove any plaque and tartar that is left over and successfully being broken up for your teeth from flossing.
Keep Your Equipment Clean
- Whether you use an electric toothbrush or a traditional manual toothbrush, you need to change the toothbrush or the head of the electric toothbrush regularly. Recommended time between changing your toothbrush is every three months.
Apply The Correct Pressure
- Many patients brush too hard which can cause you to damage your gums and your tooth enamel. Make sure to not brush too hard, many patients elect to get an electric toothbrush that has pressure sensors built in that will alert you if you are using too much pressure.
Regular Visits To Our Office
- It is recommended that you visit our dental office at least once every six months. This will help us recognize any problems or concerns inside your mouth, and address them before they become a serious issue. Also, we will perform a professional cleaning at each visit to remove any plaque or tartar that you may have missed.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
If you or a loved one looking for additional ways to maintain excellent oral hygiene at home, schedule an appointment to visit our Bishop, CA dental office. If you would like to schedule an appointment, call (760) 810-4404 or schedule an appointment online.