What is TMJ/TMD?
TMJ stands for the temporomandibular joints. Your temporomandibular joints connect your lower jaw to your skull, and are the joints used to open and close the mouth. When these joints are overused or are pressured upon, it can result in a temporomandibular joint disorder or TMD.
TMD can be very hard to live with; as the discomfort, jaw aches, and headaches associated with TMD may make day to day life more difficult.
For a better understanding and visual of TMJ, watch this video below:
Temporomandibular disorders are often caused by:
- Frequent grinding | Patients who grind their teeth during the day, or while they are sleeping are more likely to develop a temporomandibular disorder.
- Cradling the phone between your jaw and shoulder | Patients who frequently talk with the phone against their jaw can develop a temporomandibular disorder over time.
- Chewing unevenly | Patients who chew on only one side of their mouth could develop TMD if the joints become overused or stressed.
- Bad posture | Bad posture that affects the jaw has been linked to the possible development of a TMD disorder.
Patients can avoid developing a TMD by being wary of these symptoms, and avoiding bruxism, bad posture, and other causes. For patients who are already suffering from TMD, our team at Skyline Family Dental can offer comprehensive treatment.
With our Galileos technology, your dental team can offer even better TMD treatment than before. Galileos allows us to make very accurate and in-depth diagnoses that aid us in the treatment of TMDs and other disorders. The Galileos allows us to complete a full, 3D scan of the patient’s jaw, allowing us to take a closer look at the temporomandibular joints and how they move.
Each TMD treatment depends upon the individual, and will be tailored to meet the needs of each patient. We treat TMD by addressing the source of the disorder and treating the cause to combat the symptoms. Treatments can range from orthodontics and dental devices, to potential surgical intervention. It’s all to help relieve the pain of your condition, and set you on the path toward a robust oral health.
Treating TMJ With Bioesthetic Principles
At Skyline Family Dentistry, we believe in performing more than “smile makeovers.” When patients come to us with occlusion, or bite problems, we aim to treat more than symptoms—our mission is to attack the issues at their root.
Signs and Symptoms of Bite Problems
- Head and neck pain that you have been told you need to live with
- You have migraines or headaches and the cause has not been determined
- Your jaw joint clicks, pops or locks when opened or closed
- You have worn, chipped or broken teeth
- You’ve been told that you have TMJ/TMD and must wear a night guard forever
The Bioesthetic Process
If you have TMJ/TMD, bite problems or other forms of pain, let Dr. Gabriel Overholtzer repair your entire chewing system from the bottom up. The entire Bioesthetic process consists of:
- A complete examination of your head and neck
- A bite study to evaluate your individual needs
- Jaw stabilization using a MAGO splint. This is where you will begin seeing the changes in your face and your pain will start to disappear as your jaw settles back into the socket
- Once the jaw is stable in the socket, Dr. Gabriel Overholtzer will make a complete and proper diagnosis
Let Us Know About Your TMD Pain
TMD is an uncomfortable, and sometimes painful, condition that can affect the way you eat, speak, and smile. If something feels wrong with these joints, give us a call right away to schedule a consultation with Dr. Overholtzer.